Thursday, December 2, 2021

Pete Farwell to Retire from Williams at the End of June, 2023

WILLIAMSTOWN, MASS. – Head Williams men's and women's cross country coach and men's and women's assistant track and field coach Pete Farwell has announced that next fall's 2022 cross country season will be his last season actively coaching at Williams. He will not officially coach in indoor and outdoor track and field, though will do some volunteer helping at home track meets and occasional practices.
 
Farwell is a 1973 graduate of Williams, where he competed in cross country, indoor and outdoor track all four years. "I have loved running itself for so many years, including my four as an undergrad at Williams, competing all three seasons amidst the wonderful hills, trails, and dirt roads of the Purple Valley," Farwell noted. "Tony Plansky

was my cross country coach, and for my final year of indoor and outdoor track and field Dick Farley was my coach. They each spent over 40 years coaching at Williams." 
 
Williams Athletic Director Lisa Melendy commented, "It has been my privilege to work alongside Pete for so many years. I have learned a great deal from him about coaching and mentoring. He has not only served as a coach to so many student athletes at Williams, but also to so many of his coaching colleagues. Beyond his coaching Pete has been a wonderful teacher of physical education and contributor to many departmental discussions and projects. I am pleased we will have another year and a half with Pete before his retirement!" 
 
Farwell returned to Williamstown in the spring of 1978 to coach track at Mt. Greylock H.S. and that fall to coach men's cross country at Williams with coach Plansky. The next fall he was named head coach of the Eph men's cross country team. 
 
Farwell stated, "I was on a steep upward learning curve of how best to coach,  and I found my head immersed in coaching and Williams as the best place to do that, with my blood flowing in rhythm with Williams, and it reaching my heart which has long loved Williams." 
 
"I enjoy coaching. It is great to see our student-athletes combine top level academics with their athletic pursuits. They are self-disciplined, listen, and learn well. Among other things I have taught the mental side of competition, the benefits of improving running form, and the actual physical training needed to become faster. Williams runners dedicate themselves to their training and to each other."
 Pete Farwell talking to womens cross country runners
"I often find myself 'holding them back' instead of asking for more work. I continue to learn, and utilize both the science and the 'art' of coaching." 
 
In 2017 Pete Farwell was inducted into the United States Track and Field Cross Country Coaches Association Hall of Fame.
 
Farwell added, "I am truly looking forward to the 2022 Cross Country season, which as usual we will aim to be our 'best ever', in so many dimensions of this incredibly demanding and yet enjoyable sport." 
 
Some notable cross country coaching highlights during Farwell's Williams career:
 
1994 and1995 NCAA Men's Cross Country Team Champion
Two NCAA Men's Cross Country individual champions
2002, 2004 and 2015 NCAA Women's Cross Country Team Champion
Two NCAA Women's Cross Country individual champions

No comments:

Post a Comment